Thursday 25 August 2011

Sunday morning art journaling & a new texture

*** you'll find the texture & download at the end of this post ***

I love spending Sunday mornings in my study/studio. The morning light coming through the window lightens up the room and inspires me to take out my paints and stuff and just do something with them. This morning, I finished another double page for my Inspiration Journal, a little booklet made out of old book covers on which I create paintings to inspire and encourage myself on my creative journey.


I also finished the front cover of the Inspiration Journal the day before. I wanted to keep it simple but also inviting to open the book. I just love this paper with those happy smiling pigs. In German speaking parts, pigs stand for good luck, and some good luck vibes seemed a good idea for my journey, wherever it will take me, and whatever road I will find the courage to follow. I might add some details to the wings, later on, but all in all, I'm quite happy with the result.


My Inspiration Journal isn't actually book yet. It's just a pile of painted book covers at the moment, but it's all coming together nicely, and once I have all the pages finished, I'll punch some holes and voilà, my own little inspiration book.


As I had some paint left, and I don't really like to waste my paint, I decided to use it on a sheet of canvas, and make a simple texture for photo processing out of it.


And here's the result, my little Listen To Your Violet Heart texture. You can use it with or without the text, just as you like. I'm not quite sure how it is, to be honest, but maybe you'll find some use for it, the text (a stamp) didn't quite turn out as I wanted in the scanning process. And I'm still learning what works best as a texture for processing photos with.


Here's the link for the download (or click on the image above), if you'd like to give it a try yourself.

Here are two examples where I used the texture - turning a sunny winter landscape into, well, something a bit, hmm, quite weird, I admit - I was just in the mood to play around and be a little bit silly ;).

I guess you just have to like the colour purple/violet for this :)

2 comments:

  1. I really like that journal cover. Just a few colours and some simple patterns, and of course those wonderfully fat pigs which look like they've come straight from an 18th Century painting. The double "create" page is quite different. The gold goes really well with the "purple" and white, doesn't it? But I think I'm missing the best part. I don't think I could walk past something with such a terrific texture without picking it up. It's just screaming "Touch me! Hold me!" And it's not magenta of course, which helps a lot!!

    I wonder if this will have anything to do with your "business?" Hmmm... *scratches chin*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be interested, or indeed surprised to see that I've managed to use that PINK texture.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonlitmist/6092962654/in/photostream

    Muchos Gracias, seňorita!

    ReplyDelete