Thursday 9 April 2015

More stitching

I stitched another two sketchbooks over the Easter weekend, using the Coptic stitch. Once you remember and get the hang of it again, it really is quite straight forward. Back and forth, back and forth.


I used a green thread for these two and I want to make the covers and spine green too. Or maybe use an old map for the coversf or one of them. I've got two big bags full of old maps, which are always in my way. Time to start using some of them. The stitching is far from perfect, but it holds together nice and tightly.


These two are also a Fabriano Tiziano 160 g/m3 paper, but a different colour, Avorio, and size, 70x100cm. This paper size needed a bit more folding than the smaller one making the size of the sketchbooks 17x25cm. Same height as the other one, but slightly wider.


For this coming weekend, I'm planning to finally get the paint tubes and brushes out again, so these two will have to wait for a bit before getting finished.

4 comments:

  1. These are exquisite! I think I'd be too frightened to draw in them in case I ruined it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra! Yes, me too. Think I'll have to leave it lying around for a bit first. But the good thing is with making them yourself, is that you can always make new ones if you mess one up :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! Great job! Please show us when they are finished with covers, too.
    I had to chuckle. The few coptic stitch journals I have made over the years I have also made in small clusters. And then I would wonder why I didn't make them more often because there was such a sense of accomplishment and it was actually challenging but fun. Love the paper you are using. Looks wonderful to work with. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rita, yes, I'll share them here, when there finished :). It really is nice paper, nice and thick, and easy to stitch. Just don't know yet how it will be for drawing, and especially painting.

      Delete