Tuesday 8 September 2015

Almost done - adding covers to the last two sketchbooks

I have left these two sketchbooks lying around far too long. I finished the first of my handbound sketchbooks, and stitched these two back in April, and since then, they've been waiting for their covers. I thought I didn't have any more cardboard boards that I could use, but looking again, I found the perfect ones. Two sheets, that were exactly twice the width of the sketchbooks. They needed very little cutting.


For the first one, I used an old discarded map (of a part of Norway) from my library. I liked the simple black and white design, with the blue lakes. This might make a travel sketchbook. For the second one, I used one of my favourite Japanese patterned papers. I love these delicate flowers on their green background.


After having covered the boards with the map and paper came the tricky bit - gluing the covers on to the sketchbook, and making sure they're all the right way up. I think I've now found a way that works well.


The last bit will be the spine. They would look alright without a spine too, I think, but the spine will help to keep them together, when the stitching might become a bit loose when they'll be used (if I'll ever dare using them...).

4 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous just as they are! Love to see them with the spines if you add them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rita! I will post the finished ones next week :)

      Delete
  2. My, you are so clever! These are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete