Friday 5 February 2016

Sketching, style, and doing it anyway

I've been sketching a lot recently. I'm trying to sketch every day, in my lunch break when I'm at work and in the evenings at home. Daily, if possible. Here's some of my latest drawings.

I live in a small town, there's a few shops but not too many since the big city (well, it's big for Switzerland, anyway) is very close. But for some reason, we have a Dutch shop. And it's been there for years. And last week, during my holiday, I finally went there. And got some of those lovely sprinkles to put on your bread. I remember them fondly from when I was a child and always got a slice of bread with sugar or sprinkles from the Dutch mum of my friend on the way to school. And they taste as delicious as they did back then.


I found this little travel box of mini water soluble coloured pencils in one of the department stores and of course I couldn't resist. They're perfect for adding a bit of colour to a sketch and fit into my pencil case, together with all my other pens and pencils that I take with me.


Back at work after the holiday, I didn't feel too happy and motivated about it, so I went to the nearby art shop to get some new materials during my lunch break to cheer me up. And of course I had to draw them all too. They had run out of the converters for the Art Pen, so I'm using the normal cartridges until I can get one. And since the ink isn't waterproof, I'm now making the best of that, and I'm really liking the results. A quick and easy way to add a bit of depth and shadow.


I find sketching among people, and especially sketching people among people, really hard. But it's something I'm pushing myself to do. And the university's cafeteria is a good place for that. So there I sit in my lunch break, looking for victims to quickly sketch while trying to avoid anyone noticing. I wanted to add a snippet of conversation, but it was so noisy that I couldn't make out any words at all. So I used the quote from my daily quote's app, and I think it is quite a fitting one. Then a large group of people crowded around the table next to mine and got far too close for comfort, and I decided to leave. But at least I had my sketch for the day done.



I've been thinking a lot about style when it comes to drawing and painting. And I know I'm not alone with this. I think it's a natural thing to do. But if it gets to the point that you're overthinking the whole thing and it actually keeps you from drawing or painting at all, then it's definitely a problem. I'm sure that even the accomplished sketchers and painters we admire sometimes struggle with this issue. I know for sure that some do, and, seeing their work, I would never in my have dreams have thought that sometimes, they feel exactly the same as me. But what they managed to do is to embrace and accept their style, and to just go on and do it anyway. So that's what I'm trying to do now too. Don't think, just sketch...

17 comments:

  1. Wonderful sketches this week. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely sketches, and that slice of bread looks good enough to eat. Have you ever tried spritzing water to not waterproof ink? It's a very fun and many times a rewarding technique. With a water filled brush you will have some more control of where the shadows will end and the results can really be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are such marvelous sketches-love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely love your style and your sketches. I love those grey pens--and funny coincidence I am giving them away on my blog this month. :) I love your script writing--I have to practice more--I am NOT skilled in that area. xo Have a great week!

      Delete
  5. Your sketches are great! I can almost taste those sprinkles on the bread, and the art supplies look like such fun. I've never sketched in public. I think your sketch of the people sitting around the table looks very life-like. Happy PPF!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work!! I find artists to be the most critical of themselves! Even the really really talented ones have the inner gremlin take over at times!! Love all that you have done and the bread does look good. My daughter married into a dutch family and they do love their sugar treats!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I think these are all wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so creative. It shows very much in your hand writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful sketches. I love looking at people's sketches. They always give such an personal glimpse into their lives, even more than photos because of the subjects they pick and how they represent them. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These illustrations are amazing! I love the pens! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got a big thick sketch book for Christmas, and it's freed me to play without worrying about wasting paper.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful drawings this week. You should be proud that you sketched in public. I tried it once last year when I was in SS and felt sooo uncomfortable! I never did the sketching outdoors part of the class, so I wish you luck with that if it comes up. I love your Dutch toast drawing the most.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your are and insights. Worrying about style is a real good way to stop the desire to create. I keep exploring new things and my style seems to evolve over time. I like so many things, I just go with the flow. I think I would get stuck if I finally found my style.

    I really enjoyed your illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your sketches are all wonderful and have stories to tell.
    Your yummy and special slice of bread with sprinkles has made me hungry.
    Happy PPF oxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this post makes me want to rush out and grab my sketch book! I just LOVE IT!!! And you're right not to worry about style - I found mine when I stopped looking! :0)

    ReplyDelete